When we celebrate the holiday season, we forget about our diet and indulge (and later on bulge! 😀 ) with every food that come across the celebration. It’s the season to be happy because we look forward to a New Year with bountiful blessings. We want our feast table spread with delicious food, which most of the time represent all the family’s recipes collected and cooked to celebrate the New Year season.
I am sharing with you my version of my Lechon Belly. This is really yummy and a must-try! Hope you’ll have the time to try this!
- 2 kilos of Pork belly
- 5 pcs lemongrass
- 3 bulb garlic, halved (reserve 1 bulb, peel and mash)
- 2 tsp crushed pepper
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 2 onions peeled and chopped in half
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp patis
- 3 Tbsp oil
- Preheat oven to 230°C
- Score the skin of your pork belly.
- Rub the garlic, pepper rosemary salt, patis and oil over the skin and meat of the pork belly.
- Place all other ingredients in a baking tray with the belly skin side up.
- Pour 1/2 cup water around the pork belly and cover the whole tray with aluminum foil
- To avoid burning the meat while it bakes, place the tray with the meat on the upper section of the oven and on the lower part, place a tray filled with about two cups of water.
- Bake for 2 hours and 15 minutes, then remove the aluminum foil and remove the lower pan with the water.
- Bake for a further 30 minutes to brown the skin, and to give it a crispier texture.